Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Afterlife: Hollywood Style

Anybody that has experienced Dead Week in college knows that it’s a busy time. Technically, it’s not supposed to be called Dead Week anymore due to the rather depressing origin of the phrase. Anyways, in celebration of this rather crazy week, I have compiled a list of films that show Golden Age Hollywood’s portrayal of the afterlife.

Topper (1937)
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I wouldn’t mind dealing with the antics of the ghosts of Cary Grant and Constance Bennett. Absolutely hilarious! The sequels Topper Takes a Trip (1938) and Topper Returns (1941) are decent, but not as good as the original.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
If I was taken up to heaven before I was supposed to, I would definitely not find it comedic. However, if the person that accidentally takes me up is Edward Everett Horton, I’d be able to forgive him for his little mistake.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)
Being haunted by the ghost of a rugged sea captain? Pretty awesome. Falling in love with that ghost? Kind of complicated.


Heaven Can Wait (1943)
Why do people in the movies always have to die before they learn to appreciate what they had? Don Ameche is married to Gene Tierney in the movie, the most beautiful movie star ever!

Between Two Worlds (1944)
This little gem focuses on a group of people (including John Garfield, Paul Henreid, and Eleanor Parker) who die during an air raid and end up on a ship that will lead some to Heaven and some to Hell.

I Married a Witch (1942)
You’d think that after being around for almost 300 years, a witch would learn the proper way to use a love potion!
Carousel (1956)
One of the darker Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, but its absolutely fantastic. What would you do if you had one day on Earth?
A Guy Named Joe (1943)
Encouraging a romance between your best friend and your ex-girlfriend after you die? Not awkward at all.

2 comments:

Ginger Ingenue said...

Hi Genevieve! :)

Nice blog you've got here. I too adore anything with Ginger Rogers.

Well...almost anything. ;)

...

I like movies about death and the afterlife...fun how it used to be handled in such romantic or fantasy-type ways, verses the easy route of 'dark' or 'depressing'

Genevieve said...

Hey Ginger! Thank you so much! I guess I don't LOVE every Ginger Rogers movie, but if she's in it I'll watch it : )


It is interesting that death was treated rather comedically back then. If you notice, many of the films were made during WWII...they didn't want to dwell on the negative with the war going on and all.