Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Great Films Not on DVD: January

The holiday season is quickly coming to a close. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you a happy new year! This is always a sad time of year for me because there is so much build up for it and then it is all over in a moment. Unfortunately, I didn't get as much movie watching in as I would've hoped. I was stuck watching made-for-tv Christmas movies on Lifetime and the Hallmark Channel with my mother (a bit of a holiday tradition). They are a good way of putting me in the Christmas spirit, but watching too many of them makes me want to vomit up all the cheesiness. I was just sad that I didn't get to watch my favorite Christmas Eve movie, Meet Me in St. Louis. However, I did have the chance to see a few movies I had never seen including Remember the Night, Platinum Blonde, Good News, and A Guy Named Joe.
As the year comes to a close, I wanted to point out a few films that will be on TCM in January. You may have seen them or at least heard of them, if not, check them out. They are all waiting patiently to be put on DVD for many more people to enjoy.

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)
Airs January 11
Starring Jean Arthur, Robert Cummings, and Charles Coburn.

This one ranks high on my overall wishlist of films that need to be put on DVD. Wealthy businessman J.P. Merrick (Coburn) goes undercover as a shoe salesman at his own department store to find out which workers are trying to unionize.


Theodora Goes Wild (1936)
Airs January 1
Starring Irene Dunne and Melvyn Douglas

Theodora (Dunne) stirs up controversy in her conservative town when she writes a steamy romance novel using a pseudonym. Her secret doesn't stay hidden for long once a nosy illustrator tracks her down and helps free her from her small town life. A lesser known screwball comedy that's worth seeing.


Bombshell (1933)
Airs January 10
Starring Jean Harlow, Lee Tracy, and Frank Morgan

Movie star Lola Burns (Harlow) becomes sick of maintaining her image and tries to escape Hollywood in search of a normal life. Unfortunately for her, but fortunately for us, her sneaky publicist Space does whatever he can to bring her back, comedy ensues.



6 comments:

Nicole Newcomb said...

I just watched "Theodora goes Wild" and absolutely loved it. Irene and Melvyn were wonderful together.

I am looking forward to seeing "The Devil and Miss Jones" and "Bombshell". I love Jean and Robert!

By the way, I hope you had a great New Year's Eve and a great holiday!

Genevieve said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it!! If you love Jean and Robert, you will absolutely love "The Devil and Miss Jones".

Ginger Ingenue said...

I DVR-ed THE DEVIL AND MISS JONES, but haven't watched it yet. I've never seen it, so I'm really excited!

BOMBSHELL sounds pretty good too. :)

Genevieve said...

Let me know if you like it! I absolutely loved it the first time I saw it.

Nik said...

Can you add Red Dust to this list?

Genevieve said...

I have wanted to see that movie forever! I can definitely add it to my February list for you : )